Saturday, January 3, 2009

NOAKHALI - The Past is Present

It's difficult to imagine past horrors today, says SUDEEP CHAKRAVARTI, but the reality that almost defeated Gandhi--and his mission--has not faded away.

It's a little joke between them. Sometimes, when Jharna Dhara Chaudhury receives visitors curious about the past at the Gandhi Ashram in Jayag, a small village deep inside Noakhali, she packs them off to see Pirjada Syed Golam Hakkani Hussaini. His father, she says by way of introduction, Golam Sarawar Hussaini, an MLA from Noakhali for the Muslim League in the undivided Bengal Assembly, was the man who started it all off. The slaughter that began with the killing of the Hindu landed gentry in one of the worst affected areas of Bengal in October 1946. It was the sordid second chapter to a sordid first chapter in communal violence that was scripted in August of that year with a burst of mayhem that some history books still call, capital letters blaring, The Great Calcutta Killing.
"Ask him about his father," she urges, this five-ft-nothing lady who was all of 10 when Gandhi came here that November by way of Calcutta to cool the fires long after a way of life had burnt to ashes. Retaliatory riots sparking off in Bihar even as he wound his way to Noakhali.
"Jharnadi has sent you, has she?" chuckles Hakkani saheb. "She's always trying to get me into trouble." I have made my way to his vast estate in Shampur village, an hour over dirt tracks turned to slush with rain, snaking through impossibly green fields of paddy, in a part of Bangladesh so conservative that many women in burqa sometimes still carry an umbrella to prevent strangers from looking at them. "I wasn't even born then, but in 1952," drawls the hereditary pir who not too many years ago was better known as a theatre personality in Dhaka, often sunning himself by the pool of the local Sheraton. "I have inherited a pirhood, but not my father's politics."
Noakhali was the sordid second chapter to a
sordid first chapter scripted in August 1946 in Calcutta.

"The past is a fact," he carries on in a rush, sitting in a room where Gandhi spent some hours those many years ago, come to make peace with a politician. "It was a moment of anger. A lot of people were not even clear about why they were doing what they were doing. But I believe it was good Gandhi came. Things cooled down after that."

For a while, perhaps for the first time in his life, Gandhi himself was ready to give up. There is no record of exactly how many people died in Noakhali and in adjoining Tipperah district (now the state of Tripura, and some districts in Bangladesh) -- estimates range from 500 (League sources) to 50,000 (other sources). Jharnadi, who now runs the Gandhi Ashram, relates it bluntly -- "More Muslims died in Calcutta, more Hindus died in Noakhali" -- but violence caught up with the ageing Mahatma like nothing else.

Even before he reached Noakhali, he had written to Nehru: "My inner voice tells me 'You may not live to be a witness to this senseless slaughter. If people refuse to see what is clear as daylight and pay no heed to what you say, does it not mean that your day is over?'" At practically every point of his whistle-stop journey into Bengal's darker side -- at Kushtia, Srirampur, Dattapara, and a string of places where he collectively spent more than a month -- the man who found his way out of numerous problems with fasting and steadfastness gave in to feelings of helplessness. "Oldest friendships had snapped," he wrote in a dispatch. "Truth and ahimsa by which I swear and which have to my knowledge sustained me for 60 years, seem to fail to show the attributes I ascribe to them." His chronicler at the time, Nirmal Kumar Bose, wrote later of seeing the Mahatma mutter to himself: "Main kya karun? (What can I do?)"

It was a lifetime ago. Yet, wandering through the old Noakhali district, now broken up into three, the past can still come alive; but it's surreal, clashing as it does with a slice of today's Bangladesh -- Hakkani saheb is never far away -- itself created from blood of tens of thousands of innocent Muslims. In places where some of the worst atrocities happened, Karpara, Dattapara, Ramganj, Haimchar, there are remnants of buildings, many with still wary people living in them.

In Baruipara, Mohamad Lakiutullah, a farmer who has lived in the house of the local zamindar since the family fled in 1946, clams up when I ask questions. The irrelevance of asking them these many years later strikes me when his son, Mohamad Shahabuddin, a Forest Department officer in Chittagong, starts discussing Malthus with me. Mrinal Krishna Majumdar of Dattapara, among a handful of Hindus who remained in Noakhali after 1946, still hasn't recovered from the horrors he has seen. But his son, Jiban, is building his electronic item repairs shop and a house, next to the destroyed one his father refuses to leave.

I get an earful from Mahbub-ur-Rahman, a former professor, now 85, who claims to have argued with Gandhi about unity and disunity. "I told him, if Pakistan was being created for Pakistanis, then Muslims staying in India wouldn't be safe or united. And if Muslims were so strong that they got the British to create a country for them, then how could they be weak in India?" Prolonged cackle. "Gandhi had no answer." Do you have an answer for why it happened? I ask. Wasn't it easy for landless Muslim peasantry to get totally incensed with wealthy Hindu landlords? "Yes, it was easy. But the riots were not consequential, they were created." As everywhere. In Dattapara, at the site of one of the largest refugee camps in Noakhali -- now a girls school -- I discuss Bangladesh's independence struggle with H.B.M. Shamshul Basher, a 24-year-old sociology graduate with no interest in a past beyond 1971. We're in a teashop, the walls crowded with revealing posters of local female stars: Samira, Saabnoor and Mou. A tape recorder blasts the Bengali version of Macarena from the latest remix album by Sylvia Khan and 'Jewel' Mahmud, Explosion. "The past is over," Basher tells me. "I want a job. That's all that matters."

This is now. Noakhali lives as much off the land as some of its people once killed for, but also on remittances from the Gulf. The moderate Muslim government in Dhaka worries about the conservative bastion of Noakhali. The need to own a satellite telephone stands out as much as a school to practice swordcraft.

And Gandhi? He couldn't have asked for more. Muslim children attend a school run by the ashram's trust, Muslim farmers buy fish seed from its hatchery, the trust provides tubewells and toilets. A Bangladesh flag flies in front of the ashram, and after singing Raghupati raghav raja ram every morning and evening, the indefatigable Jharnadi leads her small band of ashramites to intone: Bismillah-i-rahman-e-rahim. The past? I don't think so.


17 comments:

chakraview said...

It is wonderful to see an article I wrote so many years ago worthy of your blog. It was an amazing experience to travel for this story. Best wishes, Sudeep

looking said...

I am a direct descendant of the Karpara Roychowdhury family. For various reasons, I have never been interested in exploring our family's pre-independence past and frankly though I was loosely aware of the tragic circumstances under which my grandfather had fled to India, it had never been a strong talking point in the household. Unsurprisingly so. Now I am intrigued and want to dig deeper into our past. Funny as it may sound, I had no idea that Rajendra Lal Roy Chowdhury was such a hero and the significance of what happened in Karpara was so far-fetched. I stumbled upon your blog during my research and was wondering if you could point me in the right direction in terms of people I could/should talk to.

Many Thanks,
Ranajay Raychaudhuri
London

Rituparna Ray Chaudhuri said...

HISTORY:I FIND OF CONSTANT ACQUISITION OF KNOWLEDGE THROUGH WEB :"During Durga Puja in the house of Narayan Roy Choudhury in Birnagar Village of Nadia District of West Bengal, Famous (Prof) Late Dr. Makhanlal Roy Choudhury, youngest brother of Famous Late Rajendralal Roy Choudhury and uncle of Narayan, recalled and described to all about the Origin of FAMOUS Roy Chowdhury Family and the FAMOUS Karpara,OF NOAKHALI district, since as back as possible till the riot of 1946..."- History has its own history..Its quite sound good to get your interested knowledge on the topic. Well, I am the ELEVENTH Direct Descendant of The- Family, I remember after my admission to Presidency College, Late Bina Devi, wife of Dr. Makhanlal Roy Choudhury, told me: " Remember that our family is attached with Presidency College since 1905 through Rajendralal. You must keep dignity of that ". My grandmother Late Niva Roy Choudhury , wife of Late Narayan Roy Choudhury ,said "Presidency is not new to us.." Well thanks.. RITUPARNA RAY CHAUDHURI.

Rituparna Ray Chaudhuri said...

I, eleventh descendent of the Known root of ROY CHOUDHURY family, at Murshidabad of West Bengal, learnt from Late Niva Roy Choudhury, my grandmother, that Barahiprasad, our third generation was sent by Nawab Alivardi Khan to Bahula (earlier name of Noakhali of present Bangladesh) to collect tax and administer that isolated, undeveloped, surrounded by rivers area far off from Murshidabad.

The glorious family was massacred in Noakhali riot of 1946, which recorded by various well-known personalities, Late Rajendralal Roy Choudhury had died as the hero.

Late (Prof.) Dr. Makhanlal Roy Choudhury (known for Muslim History) is direct uncle of my grandfather Late Narayan Roy Choudhury. According to Late Niva Roy Choudhury as told me, “The two unmarried daughters of Rajendralal, namely Basanti and Reba came to Kolkata along with other women survivors of the riot effected Roy Choudhury family.”{It is mentioned in lot of writings that the Muslims kidnapped two daughters of Rajendralal. But of, it is not the fact, as informed to us by Late Niva Roy Choudhury, eye-witness of the family}.

Rituparna Ray Chaudhuri, http://scholar.google.co.in/citations?user=0wtg748AAAAJ. http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/topic/Rituparna-Ray-Chaudhuri

Unknown said...

Yes you are partly correct late Basanti (my maa) & Reba Mashi were married before riot. Pl contact my email : bdray50@yahoo.com

Unknown said...

I am descendent of karpara Roy chowdhuri family. My grandfather late Ramendramohan Roy chowdhuri was younger brother of Rajendralal Roy chowdhuri. My grandmother's name is Nivarani Roy chowdhuri. My grandfather came to Assam before riot . I heard about durga puja from my grandmother that there were "mosh boli" occurred at the time of puja. I heard that the head of Rajendralal Roy chowdhuri was served in silver plate by muslims . I want to know more about my family.

Unknown said...

Gandhiji and Pranabananda maharaj who established bharat sevasram sangha also visited there at the time of riot . One of book written on account of Pranabanandaji mentioned that . Muslims were not only happy after the death of rajendralal Roy chowdhuri , they also killed one of his brothers by poisonous sword who died after that attack without medical treatment/care.

Anamitra said...

I'm Makhan Lal Roychowdhury's grandson. My great uncle was Raja Rajendra Lal Roychowdhury. After all the politically correct platitudes of this day and age that we hear pouring out of every do-gooder secularist opinion maker, I shall yet conclude that we are just another statistic in that genocide that attended the Islamic Invasion of India and its centuries old aftermath. God bless my noble forebearers. God bless bless their spirits; may their sacrifice never be seen as in vain. Bless you all. I suppose that you are all my relations whom I've never seen or known. But blood remains thicker than water. Wherever you are, godspeed your endeavors. Be fruitful. Be prosperous. Be happy. Let there be forgiveness for every historical murder. Let's find common ground and perpetuate our innate humanity.

rana said...

I am Debaditya Raychaudhuri , grandson of Late Narayan Raychaudhuri whose uncle was Rajendralal Raychaudhuri and Makhanlal Raychaudhuri.... For the past few years I have been trying to unearth more and more facts regarding our family's ancestral roots such as how was it before the 1946 riots ... In this blog , in the comments section , I could find many of my extended family members....It felt a real sense of great pride going through our family's heroic deeds , especially Rajendralal Raychaudhuri... Is it even remotely possible to compile a book on our family's history ? Just a passing thought....

Arindam said...

I am doing personal research on the Hindu Muslim relationship in India, and Bengal in particular. I have come across some excellent materials. Based on that I have already completed a paper, almost ready to be published, on the demographic statistics of both Bengals aftermath if 1950.
I have done some studies for the timeline netween 1300 to 1800, when mass conversion took place in India, and in particular in Bengal.
Unfortunately the period between 1800 to 1950 is not clear to me, till I came across some excellent materials on noakhali.
Although my interest is in the statistics, I could not hold my tears when I read about the tragic fate Rajendralal and his family suffered on 10th October, 1946, the auspicious day of Laxmi puja, and two days after that. I can almost feel myself standing inside the courtyard and watching the tragic fate coming to the family members one by one.
I have tons of Muslim friends and they have been great help, even more than my Hindu friends. In fact one friend fro Jordan became a close fan of my activities in office.
But this horrible incident defies all that good things.
I was thinking if there is survivor in the family tree of Rajendralal babu, and just to hook up with them, see how they are doing, how they have taken that tragic fate in their family and going forward.
I am very happy that I could find so many of them here. What a tradition and heritage you are carrying with you.
Please keep in touch.

CHINTAN said...

I am Rakesh Batabyal and wrote my Ph.D thesis partially on Noakhali riot and may be the first one to bring to the academic discourse the death of Rajen Babu and all those whom we lost.

S. Majumdar said...

I am related to one of the daughter's of Late Rajendralal RoyChowdhury, my great grandmother Known as Nirmala Roy Chowdhury, who was married to Surendra Mohan Ghosh in Kolkata. Only information i have is that her elder sister was married of to someone in assam during the riots of Noakhali, speacially after her father Late Rajendralal Roy Chowdhury was beheaded by the Muslims. I am unable place the track of whether the known names of Late rajendralal Roy Chowdury's daughter's Basanti and Reba was changed after marraige. If anyone can help me to fill in the details

ilovediy said...

Rajendralal Roy Chowdhuri was uncle of my grandfather Ramendramohan Roy Chowdhuri . He left Noakhali and got job in assam railway as a station master.

Unknown said...

Who was rajendralal roychowdhury's direct sister?

Unknown said...

Does rajendralal roychowdhury had sister?

Nayan said...

The descendants of Roy Chowdhary should come forward and remind the Bengalis of the atrocities inflicted by Islamist forces . I wonder , don’t their heart burn . Shri Rajendralalji was president of bar . See what’s happening in Murshidabad and 24 paraganas . Are Hindus in Bangladesh safe ...? Won’t there be another Noakhali..? Wake up ...!
You are concerned only about your and family well being.

आपदां अपहर्तारं दातारं सर्वसंपदाम् . लोकाभिरामं श्रीरामं भूयो भूयो नमाम्यहम् said...

Tum Chutiya ho Jo apne purvajon ko nahi jaantey